Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Fender Bender

I am a huge fan of snowy weather, but not today. Today we got about 6 inches of it, at first I was excited for it. Then we got the call that the schools here were going to have a 2 hour delay this morning, which meant I was going to have to take the girls to school, not Chet.
Just by going out to the van and getting it ready that I realized it was going to be REALLY slick out. The snow was wet and sticky, not good for driving. We were on our way and I noticed the truck in front of me was sliding all over the place, so I slowed down even more, trying to be extra cautious. But I still ended up sliding, hitting the side walk, and finally coming to a stop at the stop sign. But the vehicle behind me was not so lucky, it ran right into us. It hit us hard enough that my back was injured from it. I feel foolish now, but I started to cry. Some of it was because my back was hurt, but the other part was because it scared me.
I got out and realized that I knew the people who hit me, we hugged and they asked how I was, I told them about my back. We then looked at the damage and really, I could not see any. But because of my back, they called the police.
Then we realized that traffic was starting to pick up some and decided to have the kiddoes move out of the vehicles just in case. Just as I got Iolly out and shut the door, another car hit theirs and caused it to hit mine. Mine went out into the road half way, but luckily this usually busy road was clear. I then decided that I needed to move my van for safety of others, so I did and the other two behind me followed suit. Seriously, not two seconds after we did that 2 more cars had a finder binder in the same exact spot. It was crazy! Then the police, ambulance, and fire trucks arrived. The EMT checked me, asked some questions and together we decided that I could just go to my regular dr to have my back checked out. Because of my back, the police had to file an injury report which takes longer to do. So I put the kids back into the car and waited. When they needed to get my information from me, I realized that I left my purse at home by mistake. So I had no drivers license and my new insurance card was also in my purse, so no proof of that either. I was so embarrassed! So I got cited for not having proof and then come to find out that my drivers license expired on my birthday last month, so I got a ticket for that, just lovely.
So this morning did not go at all as planned and was rather frustrating. But after looking back and rethinking the whole event through I came to realize just how blessed we were. If the road would have been busy like it usually is, it could have been much worse. So I am grateful for the "minor" injury and for Heavenly Father for looking out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment